top of page

6 KEYS TO Healthy Relationships

Updated: Jul 6, 2021

6 Keys to Creating Healthy Relationships

Relationships are an essential part of life. The quality of your relationships affects the quality of your life. Unfortunately, we aren’t taught in school how to manage and grow relationships. And many of us didn’t grow up with positive examples of healthy and successful relationships. However, it’s an important skill to develop.

Enjoy healthy and meaningful relationships with these strategies:

1. Avoid establishing romantic relationships to solve a challenge.

Too often, people seek relationships to solve a problem. The issue might be loneliness, a lack of intimacy, the need for support, or the lack of children. When a relationship is based on an expectation that it will fix a problem, many issues will inevitably ensue.

Start a relationship because you’re impressed by the other person and love the idea of spending more time together. Make sure that you like the fundamental nature of the other without the need to want to fix or change them in any way. Please make sure you have things you want to share rather than being with them because your life is not working in some way.

2. Realize that no one can read your mind.

It’s not reasonable to expect anyone else to guess your needs or opinions correctly. If you don’t make your desires known, you should expect not to have them met. Take responsibility for taking

the first step in satisfying your wants and needs by sharing them clearly.

Address issues before you establish too much emotion around them. A quick talk each day can avoid drama in the future.

3. Fight cleanly.

If you’re going to argue, do so in a way that doesn’t create additional challenges. If you say, “I don’t like it when you leave your wet towel on the bathroom floor. Someone could trip on it, and the towel gets a moldy smell. It can’t dry if it’s on the floor,” you’ll have better results than you would will by saying, “Why are you such a slob?”

Address behaviors instead of attacking the other person.

4. Avoid making assumptions.

Those that struggle with friendships and romantic relationships make too many assumptions. Sometimes people do and say things that have nothing to do with you. The other person might have a bad day, feel under the weather, or have challenges at home. When you assume that everything is about you, you’re going to be unhappy, and the relationship will suffer.

Seek clarification rather than making assumptions. Assume there’s a harmless explanation until you know otherwise.

5. Accept the idea that everyone in your life is doing the best they can at that moment.

We all have a lot of potentials, but that potential varies from moment to moment. No one can give you their best every minute of every day. Some days you will get more than others, just as there will be times in your life that can’t give as much.

6. Understand that no relationship can fulfill all of your needs.

Some experts estimate that a relationship can only fulfill about 70% of your needs. You’ll have to find the other 30% somewhere else. No one can provide everything you require. It’s necessary to take responsibility for the remainder. Be thrilled with 70%. After all, there are

billions of other people, and yourself, to take care of the remaining 30%.

Relationships have the power to make life joyful or miserable. Relationships are challenging because people have different needs, expectations, and ways of viewing the world. Positive relationships, however, are well worth the effort.

Ensure that you’re beginning any relationship for positive reasons. If you enter a relationship to solve a difficulty in your life, you’re both likely to end up disappointed. View a relationship as an opportunity to give and to share experiences, so your journey together is joyful and fulfilling.

Here's to your empowered relationships!💖

P.S. Want to take your relationship to the NEXT level? Want it to be EVEN greater than it may already be? I created an awesome worksheet called 'My Awesome Relationship', you can get it FREE HERE

66 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page